Monday, August 20, 2012

1 Week Left at MCCP!

Countdown: 1 Week Left

I'm super excited and this Friday will be the first time that I have ever worked with military movers.  I can't wait to start this new chapter in my life and I am so ready and anxious.  We finally have a rental property up my base, have a washer and dryer on hold via Craigslist and just need a refrigerator.
It's all a very "grown-up" adventure...complete with all of the stressors.

As I have garlic & herb chicken drumsticks marinating and waiting to be popped into the oven, I thought I would do a re-cap of my recents.


Ryan and I watched, "No Impact Man," last night and it was inspiring.  It's a documentary on the life of a family trying to leave virtually "no impact" on the planet and they did a great job.  I found myself cheering for them as they went through the different phases of the project and found myself disappointed at different media outlets and how people wanted to bring them down.  People don't want to feel guilty about their contribution to the trash on the planet or if they recycle or don't.  The documentary allowed Ryan and I to have a discussion on what we wanted to change about our habits to be a little more eco-friendly.  This can be as simple as using a different detergent and cleaning products.  That's not just better for the environment but better for you in general.  A little extra effort can also be very cost efficient.  Now I don't think I would go as far as stopping my use of toilet paper or electricity but I could definitely do more to be a little eco-friendly.

In other politically charged news...

So the brightest candle on the cake, Representative Todd Akin (R-MO), said late Sunday that he "misspoke" when he claimed that women who are victims of "legitimate rape" have biological defenses that fend off a pregnancy and therefore do not need legal abortion rights.


There are so many things wrong with what he said but the most concerning aspect is his mentality.  He said it.  At some point he thought it was perfectly ok to make that statement.

What medical practitioners is he talking to about a woman's reproductive system?  This man has the capability of making political decisions for women's rights.  Say whaaat?
It's disturbing and wrong.
He even used the term, "legitimate rape."
Because ya know, some are just pretendsies.
President Obama held a news conference and in this article he says,
"Rape is rape. And the idea that we should be parsing and qualifying and slicing what types of rape we are talking about doesn't make sense to the American people and certainly doesn't make sense to me. So what I think these comments do underscore is why we shouldn't have a bunch of politicians, a majority of whom are men, making health care decisions on behalf of women."
 Todd Akin's statements were completely out of line.  He had no medical reasoning in the statement and it was just straight up offensive.  I appreciated President Obama's statements because he said exactly what needed to be said in this situation.  The Romney-Ryan campaign has done everything to distance themselves from Akin (understandably so), but quickly threw out the statement that their campaign would allow for women who were raped to have access to abortions.  Mind you Paul Ryan has supported several bills, including the Personhood Bill.
None of his ideas support women's rights.

 Moving onto a less controversial topic
(my apologies if you're not political...not everything on my blog is 
but it is important to address the lack of women's rights). 

We had a walk through with our military housing office and everything looks great!
I pride myself (and by myself, I should probably give more credit to my husband) on our house not smelling like "dog." There's like a $250+ charge if your house ends up smelling like a pet...yikes!
She also said our carpets looked fantastic but the final walk through involves looking over it with a black light. Tehehehe little does she know that we have our own and I've already gone on many an adventure searching for puppy accidents.

Alright drumsticks are flipped over, so time for a new update.



While the chicken was cooking, I came across the show, Bunheads.
Love it! The main character is so sassy!
Of course the husby has bogarted the television for his Battlefield 3 needs, therefore I need to find it on Netflix because I need to catch up.

Earlier today I had an eye appointment.
P.S. I love going to the Optometrist (even though this one was kind of weird)

Have you ever heard of the company, Warby Parker?  They're gaining a lot of popularity for their reasonably priced glasses.  They also do the buy one, donate one program.  Buy a pair of glasses and they'll donate a pair to a child in need.

They have awesome customer service.  You can try out five pairs of glasses for five days to see what kind of frames you like.  I did this while Ryan was deployed and here were some of the pics I took.

I really like the Huxley Whiskey Tortoise and after my eye appointment today, 
I can officially get a pair.  
Wahooo!


Last night I finished Fifty Shades Darker via my Kindle Fire.
I have this bad habit of not finishing a series because I don't want it to end.
For example, haven't read the last Twilight book, waiting to finish Hunger Games,
not sure if I ever actually finished the Harry Potter series and voila now it's this.
I just get complacent about finishing books...it's weird.
I am now fairly determined though to finish these series because...
the movies have already come out
the show must go on!


Despite the criticism this series has received, I think people forget that it's a trashy romance novel.
Duh.
Therefore it cannot be compared to something with actual literary merit.
It's supposed to be a literary fantasy and that's what it does.
Christian Grey is not a realistic man...he's a dreamboat.
That should have been your first tip off, literary critics.
It's to play up on the fantasies of women and men and that's why it's so deliciously good.
One thing that I really liked about the series, so far, is how Christian Grey communicates the concept of consent with every aspect of their relationship.  That's something that you don't see in real life as often as needed or even in novels.  We need more communication in our relationships.
I've also been on the edge-of-my-seat with my fandom as I await to hear who the cast will be.
I've got a few ideas of who would play the characters amazingly well but we'll see what happens.

I was on Pinterest last night and saw a re-post of the photography from Barbie's wedding.
I know, totally random but it was amazing photography.
So that got me started on trying to find similar work.
Strangely enough, this is not the first time I've done this.
Nevertheless, I came across Mariel Clayton's work and it is beautiful and thought-provoking.
Not something you expect from a Barbie doll photoshoot
Some of it was really dark and a little morbid (just so you're warned).
I definitely think it's worth taking a look at all of it and just seeing how you feel about each piece.
Here are a few that really caught my eye:

Home Economy - Mariel Clayton Doll Photography
Supply - Mariel Clayton Doll Photography
Demand - Mariel Clayton Doll Photography
  What's even more interesting is that Clayton is entirely self-taught in her photography.
Her work ranges from every topic on the planet and even in her "about" section, she says that she can't explain how her ideas come to her but I think they're amazing.
All the photos are her original work and are from her website so go check them out.
These ones are from her 49/Rooms collection.

Well it's one day closer to the big move and I've had fun discussing my recents.
Be sure to check out my very first guest blog about living as stress free as possible over at Glam Hungry Mom!

xoxo,

No comments :

Post a Comment