Monday, August 27, 2012

Thrifting Tips for DIY: A Guide by Laura from Beauty&Beard

I'm super busy and a wee bit tired after the long day of moving.
But do not fear! Here's Laura to spread some cheer.
I know, I'm cheesy, but my butt is numb from driving and I have blisters on my toes.  Empathize please :P

Hello lovelies! 

My name is Laura and I'm the lady behind a little old blog called Beauty & the Beard. I was so happy when Kim asked me to stop on by today! As you've clearly realized by now, Kim loves to make her own art, and I'm right along there with her. I've DIYed just about everything, from monogrammed recipe boxes to collage coasters to neon jewelry. My favorite projects by far are ones I've done with thrift store finds. Buying something vintage or broken down and turning it into something beautiful is beyond gratifying!

Today I thought I'd share some tips for thrifting for DIY projects!

1. Imagine each item with the other ways it could be used in your home. Old trays or baking sheets can be used for displaying jewelry or a coffee table vignette, and glass ashtrays can be the new place you throw your keys at the end of the day!
Post: Purple Ombre Tray
2.  Imagine everything you see with a fresh coat of paint. A lot of things you'll find in thrift stores will either be funky retro colors or dirty dark wood. It's just a fact, people. Before you look over those items, just remember there's nothing a white paint can't fix!
Post: Book It- Kelly Green Book Ends
3. Go to smaller, local thrift stores over places like Goodwill. Not only will the prices be lower, but there's much less traffic, which equals more hidden gems!
Post: Kate Spade Inspired Jewelry Tray
Am I the only one who loves thrifting for a good project?
Thanks for having me today Kim!

Hope you all stop by Beauty & the Beard soon!

xo, Laura

No comments :

Post a Comment