Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Drop in the Ocean

Do you ever have one of those moments where you hear a song and automatically try to remember a few of the lyrics so you can find via Google later?
That happened to me while watching the first episode of season 3 for "Vampire Diaries." 
Ron Pope's song, "A Drop in the Ocean" is beautiful.
 

It's been a busy week to say the least.
Having a three day weekend prior is blessing and yet a curse.
I love having that extra day and the following weekend feels closer than ever but I also felt really worn out this week.
So boo to that.

Speaking of boo's (haha booze)
it's time for my roommate's birthday party!
I am so excited for it and I would post more details on the extravaganza but I know she occasionally reads my blog so I'll post that sometime after.

I have two costume options and I'm working on them both.
What? Kim have two costume options? That doesn't sound like her at all. 
I hope you sensed the dripping sarcasm.

The first...
Source
  Yes, that's right! Ms. Frizzle as a throwback to our kickass childhood.
Who doesn't love "The Magic Schoolbus"?
That's a rhetorical question because if you don't, you deserve to be "this-is-sparta-kicked."

The second...
Source    
A Snowman! I don't know how I really came up with the idea but I like being cute things for Halloween and snowmen are just super loveable, so why not?

So I spent the weekend running a million and two errands 
(the last two involved me at Chipotle with a delicious burrito in hand).

I first went to Walmart and normally my trips to Walmart are fairly uneventful.

and no, I did not see Captain America at Walmart, although that would have made the trip so awesome.  The Walmart that we live by is actually really crappy.  The aisles are incredibly small and the store is way overcrowded with merchandise.  It's an "old-school" Walmart. Remember when Walmarts turned into Super Walmarts and then that just became the norm?  Well, the Walmarts around here didn't get the memo.
So I went to the Walmart the next town over and it was awful.
Literally the worst layout I've ever experienced.
I have weird personality quirks and one of those is that I get annoyed by weird store layouts.
I blame my PR and advertisement background.
It makes no sense to have shoes next to electronics instead of books or the cooking aisle no where near home goods. However this Walmart did everything wrong with layout. 
It took me twice as long to find everything because when I went to go look for laundry baskets, I found tires instead.  I'm usually pretty shopping savvy but that store was a struggle-fest.  Also everyone who was shopping had at least three kids.  All sorts of different folks but they all had three kids. So many children...

I then went to Jo-Anne's and purchased several yards of tulle to finish my tu-tu's for my costumes.
I absolutely love making tutu's. I think it's because of my sorority sister and old roommate, Hill. Her costumes are always incredibly fabulous. I owe my tutu-making skills to her genius.


I'm also the Matron of Honor in my best-friend, Emily's wedding. I stopped at David's Bridal (my first time there) and tried on four dresses.  Now slightly unrelated, but I get really peeved when clothing sizes are completely unrealistic to their listed size.  I'm not a big person. I'm actually quite small and I work out everyday so when a dress is a 2 and fits like 0, I have a problem with that. It's not flattering to anyone and anything with a fairly high price tag should stay true-to-size.  That's a small vent to my experience with jean's shopping.  However, I found this beautiful dress and I'm so excited to be a part of Milli's day.

Picture this in a shade of red. It's so pretty!
To finish off this post, here are two recipes I used from my shopping trip to the commissary:

Blended Drink O' Delicious


Ingredients:


I love blended coffee drinks but let's be real, we just love that it's a liquid dessert.
To save on costs, I purchased chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, an International Delight blend and had at it! Throwing those in with ice cubs into my Ninja and I had a super yummy beverage. I can't wait to try this with a holiday blend like Peppermint Mocha and top it off with whipped cream.

 Big Boy Mac-N-Cheese


Ingredients:
Package of bratwursts (you could use any type of sausage) sliced
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup Monterey Jack/Colby Cheese
Scallions/Green Onions (just use whatever you've got in the fridge)
2.5 cups of penne (I just threw some in)
1.2 cup of half-n-half
Can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
2 bell peppers diced up
Season it up with S&P, Cajun spices, whateva

When I cook, I use whatever I want and I have an affinity for bell peppers so you really could put whatever you want in this bad boy and it's going to taste good.
You could also make this in one pan if you'd like.
Season up those bratwurst slices and have them cook with the onions and peppers until brown.
Pour in chicken broth, half-n-half, penne, and those diced tomatoes.
Bring it to a boil and keep stirring. At this point I would continually season it.
Put a lid on it and let it cook for 15 minutes.
The original recipe said prep your broiler.
Did I have a clue what that was? Absolutely not so I pre-heated the oven for 350 degrees and waited.
I took the skillet off the burner, blended in the cheese (I love cheese so I probably used an entire bag) and added the chopped up scallions on top.  I threw that bad boy in the oven for four minutes.
Then we ate and it was good.

No comments :

Post a Comment