Thursday, January 31, 2013

My Qualms with "The Bachelor" Franchise


When I was probably in fourth grade, the very first season of "The Bachelor" came out and I remember watching each weekly episode with my mom, anxiously anticipating what might happen next.  As a fourth grader, it was all very exciting- the dates, the glamor, the handsome man.
Then came "The Bachelorette" and I was so excited because Trista, the runner-up, ended up marrying Ryan, a sexy fireman.  I always had my predictions on how the show would end.  The Bachelor would always choose some gorgeous lady who may not necessarily be a good fit for him, but they would probably have copious amounts of hot sex (whoops, was I not supposed to say that?).  However, ever since Trista, I've believed the Bachelorettes are there for different reasons.  Trista and Ryan are still married and have kids now.  I remember watching their wedding (on tv) as a little girl and just being in total awe of the beauty of it all.

http://lifestyle.lifetimefitness.com/storage/Bachelorette-Trista_l.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1344611453862

And that's where the media gets ya.

I'm a media major, so I know how this goes down.  I also have a Gender & Women's Studies certificate, the equivalent of a minor, and apart from throwing my degrees in your face, I'm a proud feminist.  However, when getting down to brass tacks, I enjoy the franchise but I have a lot of problems with it.

The first is that I stopped watching the show for several reasons, but mainly because it portrayed love as a very materialistic concept and that's a huge lie.  It felt like all of the relationships built on the franchise ended up failing miserably.  I also never liked the idea of perpetuating the notion that love is inevitable by going on a rock climbing date followed by a private jet flight to Paris to nosh on baguettes at the Eiffel Tower.  Love is hard work.  I saw in several of the chosen bachelors that they were still in their "bro" modes.  Maybe they wanted to be in a committed relationship, but at the end of the day, they were surrounded by beautiful ladies who were almost desperately wanting to get married.  That in itself isn't setting up a person to find a good match- that's an orgy waiting to happen.

So my second problem with the show is a constant reliance on feeding off of women's fear of not being married.  This is very much a cultural thing, where women (and men) feel like they need to get married by a certain age.  You graduate college, maybe establish a career and then you get married.  It's like a mathematical equation and if for some reason you can't add up those numbers, something feels off.  Societal notions force people to feel inadequate and at the end of the day, all we need is some love.

When you take away the fancy dates and hot guy, you have women in their late 20s and early 30s, pouring their hearts out to America because they are scared shitless that they'll end up alone.  They are literally bawling into the camera.  That is a terrible thing to monopolize on.

My third problem with the franchise is the unrealistic fantasy and dramatic scripts that infiltrate every episode.  I know, it makes for good tv, but teaches young girls that to get a guy, it should be a competition.  You know what I learned while growing up and being Miz Independent in college?  If he doesn't want you, he can watch you walk out the door.  He's not worth your time.  I remember one of the first days of college, my dad said to me, that if a guy likes you he will go out of his way to make sure you know that.  It's totally true.  How can The Bachelor do that if he has to "go out of his way" to show 15 other ladies that he may or may not have feelings for them?  A relationship is a personal, intimate matter that involves two partners working together.  I see several of these relationships falling apart because the show isn't created on building a relationship.  It creates a fantasy.  It also creates a really awful dynamic between the women living in the house.  This mentality that I must "fight for my man" is a constant theme.  That's not how a healthy relationship is built. 


Sean, the newest Bachelor, seems like a great guy.  The personality he exudes, and the many bloggers who watch the show, encouraged me to try out this season.  I stopped watching a long time ago because the show's content was very surface level and I was tired of it.  Regardless, I started watching again.  I actually think he is there for the right reasons, which is refreshing to witness.  However, the show is still as tasteless as ever.

I know I have a privileged perspective in writing this post.  I'm 23, married, and have a career and college degree.  My perspective is one that many of these women on the show continually talk about. Watching the individual perspective clips was often heartbreaking.  A cruise ship entertainer performed a song for Sean as her way to stand out and when she was sent home on the first night, she felt absolutely ridiculous.  Her she was, putting herself out there to find a husband, and she leaves feeling rejected and worthless. 

The most recent episode featured a young woman with the most brilliant smile and who had been yearning for a one-on-one date with Sean for the past couple of weeks.  She got the date, but if you're a fan of the franchise, the "pretty woman" dates often lead to a huge bout of rejection.  She was taken shopping, given earrings, and the full on works for Sean's version of the "most romantic" date he could think of.  To put things in perspective, his past one-on-one dates were more like challenges for the women.  Almost like, "if you conquer your fear- you will earn my love via this rose."  So her date did not fit this norm whatsoever.  Instead, at the end of the night Sean told her that he wasn't feeling it.  Now Sean wanted to feel something for her but going into the date he knew he really wasn't sure if there was something even there.  This is the part that truly bothers me.  Instead of taking her on a date that would build up her confidence in an empowering way, he chose to spoil her in superficial terms to let her down easy.  It sends the message that this woman could be bought and that he could make things better by saying, "I don't want to be your husband, but hey, here are some earrings."

She was devastated.

As addicting as the show can be, it sends really poor messages out to young women.  I often think about what it was like to live in a wonderful sorority house and having sisters wish that they could meet great guys.  I have witnessed countless heartbreaks and ladies asking "what did I do wrong" and "why me," but there are a multitude of reasons and excuses why things don't work out.  Finding the right life partner isn't going to be a beach volleyball match where the winning girl gets to spend more time with the guy.  Finding your partner involves conversation, connection, and genuine interest.  It involves leaving yourself vulnerable for another person and trusting that they won't hurt you.  It is about honesty and openness.  These are concepts that the show frequently brings up in conversations, but are rarely ever displayed.


Thanks for reading this post and if you have any thoughts on it, I'd love to hear!

      

8 comments :

  1. Great points about the show. I too watched it for many years since the beginning, but I stopped watching the after the season with Melissa Rycroft. I don't remember the guy's name in that season. I just remember hating the way that season was handled with the after the rose ceremony. It was all done for TV. If he wanted to break up with her-fine. But he should never have agreed to that whole on-air break up and getting back together with the girl he originally rejected.

    I did love Trista and Ryan, though, and I'm glad they're still together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, the Melissa Rycroft disaster. That was just bad news bears all over the place.

      Delete
  2. I never really watched the Bachelor until this season (mostly because the bloggers seem very into it) - and for pretty much the same reasons. It seemed overly contrived and set up for failure. I think it's incredibly important for relationships to be a two way street - each person needs to be as into the relationship as the other person. Not always at the same time all the time, but in general, the give and take needs to even out. I also wonder how well they can really get to know each other. They all sound like they're saying the same thing just a few weeks in. "I love my family" "I want what my parents have" etc. It's important, but not the only thing that goes into making a family or marriage like that work. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, after watching four episodes, I've really been wanting to write this post. It is incredibly contrived and I think it sets up young girls to think that dating is like that, which it is totally not. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this post. I agree that there are a number of things wrong with this show. I especailly feel bad when women leave the show and are crying--they take it so personally and as such a critique on who they are when in reality I just want to be like "hunny, you are completely normal for not being able to find love in front of 20 competing girls and camera crews!" I'd love if you would check out my posts that I've done on the bachelor as well: http://theunreallife.wordpress.com/tag/bachelor/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your posts! I started laughing hysterically at the roller derby one- my sentiments exactly! How in the world does that show what true character is? It absolutely does not and is ridiculous. I don't think I could have ever been on that show, especially not to kiss the same guy that 20 other ladies are eyeing up. That's a break-up waiting to happen.

      Delete
  4. GREAT post, I love your perspective. You are wise beyond your years :-)

    In the beginning of the series, I was all caught up in the shows, especially with Trista. But now I just feel bad for the girls on the show. They are all beautiful, most have careers, but they are all desperate to find a man and they ALL think that this random guy is going to be their soul mate. That's happened like twice in the how many years of the show?! I think the women should take the time to figure out themselves and who they want to be rather than compete on a "reality" show. Just my view!

    -AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder the same thing, kind of like they're throwing all of their eggs in one basket for a guy that could still not be quite ready for commitment. I think many of them could do with an uplifting and empowering conference versus trying to find gratification from a guy. But I'm not on the show nor do I plan on ever being on the show, so that's my opinion.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete