Tuesday, June 11, 2013

DIY Clothesline Bachelorette Party Invitations


I am the Matron of Honor for my best-friend's wedding.  Emily and I have known each other since middle school and have been best-friends ever since.  She is one of the most caring and genuine people that I know.  We have had so many sleepovers and trips together and all of them have been amazing memories :)

She's getting married to her boyfriend of so many years.  They met through band and we were in summer bands together for years.  I was in percussion so I was part of the drumline and Emily played clarinet.  We did so many musical performances together, including performing at a Blue Jays game in Canada, performing at the United Nations in New York, and marching in the Electrical Parade at Disney World.  When she asked me to the Matron of Honor, I was beyond, well, honored.  Living in Montana while everything is going down in Wisconsin has been tricky.  Luckily I'm paired with a great young lady, Kristen, who is the Maid of Honor.  

Kristen and I have been planning aspects of Emily's Bachelorette Party.  My military schedule inhibits me from going, but that doesn't mean I can't be a part of their special day.  Throughout the week, I'm sharing with you DIY tutorials on aspects that I've helped to create for her bachelorette party.  At the end of the week, I have a great offer to share with you about a business called SimplyBridal and a pretty sweet discount and giveaway to go along with it.  So let's get started!

When coming up with the design, I first went to Pinterest.  Emily is such a special person to me and I wanted to use every ounce of creativity I had to make it a fun event.  However, I couldn't find a pin that I liked for the invites that wasn't a computer-designed invite.  There were a ton of cute corset-style ones but I wanted hers to be a little different.  That's when I thought of the idea of using a clothesline to display fun patterned undies or panties.  I don't know what's with that word but it feels so strange to say.

I chose 4 pieces of 12x12 cardstock in purple because that's her favorite color.  I then chose 4 pieces of 12x12 scrapbook paper in different designs.  I picked brightly colored papers and prints because I wanted the underwear to be fun and bold.  I liked this design versus others because I think it's fun and sassy, which is totally Emily, without being overly risque.

 To create the appearance of a clothesline, I used a roll of ribbon and mini wooden clothespins in a 50-piece bag.  I made 8 invitations and a 50-piece bag definitely wasn't enough to have four panties on a line, but for three of the invites I used one clothespin per piece of underwear.  It's really up to you on what you want it to look like.  Crafting stores charge an arm and a leg for everything from paper to mini wooden clothespins so I chose a more economically friendly route without sacrificing design.

For the text, I chose to write them in pen and chose gold pens to share all the fun with her friends.

Feel free to use "extras" on the the invitations.  I picked up a bag of plastic rings to add a piece of flair to each one.  I'm still debating how I'm going to implement them but they're a cute addition.

For the cutting and pasting portion, I took each of the four pieces of cardstock and folded them so that each piece was split into nine folded sections.  I then free-handed a panty outline onto each square.  You could make a template and use that as well.  I wanted each one to be a little different so I did it that way.

Then after cutting them out, I glued them to the backside of each scrapbook paper using Mod Podge.  If ends were starting to flare up, I would use the Mod Podge to secure them down.  Be careful with this because if you cover too much of the writing surface, it will difficult to get the ink to stay without smudging.  I then cut each of them out.

I then cut out eight "clotheslines" and attached four pairs of paper panties to each line.  Flipping them over, I then wrote out the details of the party and other fun information.  This is also a really cute idea if you're planning on giving the bride lingerie at her party and including sizing information.


There you have it! A cute and sassy Bachelorette Party invite that your bestie will love!

post signature

2 comments :