Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Breakfast and a Paleo Journey

I haven't been 100% happy with my overall health and wellness as of this past year.  Having grown up a competitive swimmer, track athlete, and honestly, constantly moving, I never really had issues.  However, since moving to Montana, I gained weight, felt more self-conscious in clothes, had to buy more clothes, and hated how I felt.  Some of these things were due to my new job and living in a remote area, but definitely some areas could be attributed to not eating well and not scheduling time for working out.  So throughout the past six months, I started upping my workouts.  This included lifting more, doing more cardio, adding variety, etc.  I still wasn't seeing the results that I wanted.  I knew that I had to change my diet and I had to clean up areas of it.

I met up with my friend Ashton, aka Tinkerbell and Battle Buddy, and she helped me go over several points of great nutrition.  She also introduced me to the cookbook, Against the Grain by Danielle Walker.  The recipes had variations of great recipes and ingredient replacements that are so yummy! I also started reading the cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanflippo and It's All Good by Gwyneth Paltrow.  It made me realize that there are so many areas of my diet where I could replace something that might not necessarily be providing my body with fuel and instead add spinach, fruits, etc.
 



It truly did inspire me to create delicious foods that not only tasted yummy but were providing my body with essential nutrients.  I still am not calorie counting per say but I do check to see what can be replaced in certain recipes and we definitely have more fresh fruits and vegetables in the house.  One negative aspect is that purchasing "organic" and something grain free can be rather expensive.  Not everything that I cook or eat is grain free but we try our best because we definitely like the results.  I started dropping weight and I feel better, which is really important to me.  I know that to see really great results, it will take more time but i like what it's doing so far :)


Brunchtastic: Fruit Smoothie & Bacon-Egg Cups

 
Fruit Smoothie Ingredients:
  • Blender
  • Almond Milk (2-4 cups) I used Almond Coconut Blend from Silk because it's delicious
  • Whole Orange
  • Half a bag of strawberries
  • 3/4 bag of mixed fruit
  • 6 ice cubes
These turned out really good and I highly recommend experimenting with this recipe and fruits. My husband thinks it would be extra delicious with a banana or two and I concur.  I originally started with 2 cups of Almond Coconut Blend but definitely added more to create the consistency I was looking for.

 


Bacon-Egg Cups Ingredients:
  • Bacon
  • Cupcake or Muffin Tin
  • Eggs
  • Nonstick Spray (we used oil, but it was a little greasy because of that and probs due to the bacon)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Spray your cupcake or muffin tin with the nonstick spray.  Wrap the bacon pieces around the cups as seen above.  Crack an egg into each cup.  I sprinkled some spices over each cup and put in the oven for 20-25 minutes.


Remove from the oven when eggs are prepared to your liking and serve!



If you liked this post, share it with others! If you feel particularly moved by it, leave a comment because I love feedback and discussion. Social media links are provided below and thanks for reading!
 photo signature_zpsc0b51015.jpg

No comments :

Post a Comment